You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the 'Newsletter Subscriptions' tab when logged in to your customer account. If you do not have an account with us, you can unsubscribe by clicking the 'unsubscribe' link at the bottom of the newsletter.
What does point elasticity refer to?
In general terms, point elasticity specifies the resilience or surface properties of a mattress. If a mattress yields only at the point where pressure is exerted, one speaks of point elasticity. A point-elastic mattress gives way only at pressure points and ensures correct orthopaedic positioning of the vertebral column. As opposed to surface elasticity wherein pressure is cushioned over a large area and not exclusively at the pressure point. To prevent damage to the posture, a point-elastic mattress is recommended because it adapts perfectly to the body shape and it does not allow any space between the body and mattress.
Why is point elasticity important?
Depending on weight and sleeping position, different body parts sink to different depths on the mattress. In order to avoid malpositioning of the spine, it's important that the body parts that sink deeper are well cushioned while supporting the rest of the body. As a side sleeper, for example, the body parts to be cushioned are the shoulders and the pelvis. Especially for people with back problems, a point-elastic mattress is recommended, since it keeps the vertebral column in its natural position.
In general, the higher the volume weight, the greater the point-elasticity.
Examples for point-elastic mattresses are:
- Cold foam mattresses – their large volume weight (at least RG60) allows for an orthopedically correct sleep.
- Pocket spring mattresses – here, the number of springs determines the point-elasticity of the mattress.
The Emma Mattress
The Emma Mattress has 4 different layers:
- Special climate fibre cover to regulate humidity. Machine washable!
- Airgocell® foam, point-elastic to balance pressure and provide high breathability
- Visco-elastic memory foam to adapt to your exact body and sleeping type
- Cold base foam optimized to offer pressure relieving support for lower back and spine